Thursday 6 June 2013

o.n.e.

Yesterday she turned one.
Holy ****
To all of the new mums and mums-to-be, 
when people tell you "try to enjoy it because it all goes by so fast"
(cause they do - so many times)
and you're thinking "ya, ok. I'll try to enjoy being up to my armpits in laundry and dirty diapers,
with the endless feedings, all while having little to no sleep and raging hormones"
I really hope that you still try, and you do (enjoy it)
because it really truly was the fastest 365 days I have ever experienced.
For about a week leading up to her birthday, I felt panicky.
"did I play with her enough?"
"did we read enough books?"
"did I do too much of ____"
"did I not do enough of ____"
"should I have done more ____"
and on
and on
.
.
.
But then I came back from crazy town,
because I can honestly say, with confidence,
that I have never worked so hard at anything ever in my life,
and I did everything to the best of my current capabilities and could not have done any more.
I think I can be pretty proud of that.

So happy birthday sweet girl.
Thank you for being such a happy, healthy, funny, amazing baby.
I don't know what I could have done in my life to deserve such a gift.
Thank you for making me smile and laugh more than ever before, 
and teaching me to be a better person and mama every day.
Mama and papa love you more than anything, and we'll try our best to keep up with you,
so please try not to grow up too fast.

Man, she was so small... and if you know her now... well, you know.
(obviously we thought she was the cutest thing ever in life, 
but in retrospect she looked like a wrinkly old man/alien - a cute one though)


No comments:

Post a Comment